Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Ants!

Help! We have ants! I don't know where they came from or how they got inside but last night and this morning there were hundreds of them all over our kitchen countertops. Geary killed an army of them last night but this morning there was another troop.

I freaked out. I grabbed a can of hairspray (yeah, I know. It just seemed right at the time) and blasted as many as I could. Then I scrubbed the countertops and nabbed a few stray ants with some papertowels. For the past hour there hasn't been another invasion but I've still caught a few more strays. I'm afraid that if I leave they will come back in a mob again.

So what do I do? Anyone know how to take care of ants so they never come back? It's soooo icky!

5 comments:

  1. It's hard to spray when you have children in the house, so I suggest buying several ant traps. Especially put them under the sink and on the counter tops.

    Good luck, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try coating the counters with baby powder. So far it is the only thing that has worked for us.
    Find where they are coming from and put a nice coat of baby powder all over. Leave it there for about three days.
    We cant use poison due to the baby.. so... we tried this!
    Hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The key is figuring out the source, then there are many things that can be done (ie using dryer sheets to repel them). Otherwise, any cleaning chemical should help. Growing up we had tons of ants and always windex the suckers. If that is just a little too "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" then another thing we did was put out those lovely ant traps that allow them to take the poison back home to share. Ah, memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sell these little ant things that did wonders for my office desk. I think they're called Ant Baits, and of course I can't find it for sale online. I bought a three-pack at Wal*Mart.

    It's arc-shaped, has liquid in it, and I guess they "eat" it (whatever they do), and bring it back to their nest where it infects the rest.

    Whatever it does, it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DON'T SMASH THEM!!! If they are the little tiny ants that I am thinking of (smash one and smell your finger - it will smell acrid) - do not smash them - smashing them attracts MORE ANTS! Brush them into the sink and down the drain and get some ant traps. We usually (yes, this happens to us once a hear about the time we get our first few hot days of the summer) mix liquid castile soap with water in a spray bottle and spray them - the castile soap kills them on contact.

    PS - this doesn't mean you are a dirty person or that your house is dirty :)

    ReplyDelete

Linharts love comments!