Thursday, January 04, 2007

Placebo

A few months ago Noah was pretending to be a doctor and he wanted me to give him some medicine so he could give it to his "patients." I gave him an eye dropper full of water but he refused it. Juice wouldn't work for him either. Eventually I gave him some water that was colored green with food coloring. I told him the medicine was called "Placebo."

Last night Noah kept waking up saying that he felt sick. He didn't have a fever, his throat looked pink and healthy, no congestion. He answered all my questions about what felt "icky" and it wasn't his tummy or his chest or his throat or his nose. Finally I asked, "What would make you feel better?" He said, "Placebo." I gave him some green water and he went right to sleep and didn't wake up again.

What is it about some meaningless things that we find comfort in? Why did the green water "heal" Noah? What placebos do I think I need in my own life? Do you have placebos?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Linharts love comments!