Tuesday, January 23, 2007

30 Weeks

The Good News:
I passed the glucola test--I do not have gestational diabetes. The baby's heartbeat was 160bpm and the doctor was treated a nice big kick while she was pressing on my tummy to try to feel the position of the baby. She said he feels like just the right size but that she'd like me to have another ultrasound in a few weeks because I'm measuring just a little bit big. My due date could either be off, or it could be something like extra amniotic fluid. It will be fun to see the baby again if I really do get another ultrasound. I've never had an ultrasound past 22 weeks so I wonder if the baby will look super huge or all squished up in there.

The Bad News:
I failed the hematocrit/hemoglobin test--I am anemic. My iron levels were a little low at the beginning of the pregnancy so I've been on an iron supplement, but apparently I still wasn't getting enough because now my levels are even lower. Iron is important because it's what helps the red blood cells carry oxygen through the body. Thankfully the baby takes all he needs first, but that's not leaving very much for me. So, now I have a new supplement that gives me (us, really) 650mg a day instead of the 280mg I was getting before.

Baby Stuff:
He's about 16 inches long and weighs around 3lbs. His body is developing fat to keep him warm and his skin is covered with fine, soft hair called lanugo. He already has his own unique fingerprints and he can suck his fingers. His eyes are open and his brain and nervous system are almost mature. He is also very active and we can not only feel him moving, but see his movements as my belly changes shape while he is thrashing around. We sometimes joke that we are having a squid baby because it feels like there are many, many limbs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Linharts love comments!