Monday, October 19, 2009

Uh-Oh!

I don't remember how we got on the subject but Noah informed us, "I already have a wife."

We were surprised. "You do?" I asked, "Who is it?"

"Jessica." (Not her real name)

"Jessica? I didn't know you played with her. I thought the only girl you like to play with is Sophie (also not her real name)."

"Yeah, but Tyler (not his real name) is gonna marry her now, so I took Jessica."

"Wow, so what does it mean that Jessica is your wife. Do you play with her at recess?"

"Yeah, and we eat lunch together. It's just right, you know? She wants to be a singer and I want to be an artist. It's just right."

I started getting a little nervous about the way he was talking. "Have you kissed her?" I was careful to keep my voice soft and not look directly at him.

"Not yet..."

My voice was no longer soft, "Not yet? You mean you're planning to?"

"Well, yeah. Like when we're in college."

My pulse slowed down. "Oh. Well that's okay."

Geary, who had been silently bug-eyed and gape-jawed for this entire conversation, chimed in, "Besides, kissing is not allowed at Veritas."

Noah raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, it is! I saw Mr. H kiss Mrs. H."

I quickly responded, "They are allowed because they are really married. You are not."

We instantly saw the need for some preventative advice. "What would you do if Jessica tried to kiss you?"

Noah looked thoughtful, "I don't know. We're not even in college!"

Geary nodded, "Here's what you do. You just say, 'Thanks, but this is not okay. School is for learning not for kissing.' Okay?"

Noah looked uncomfortable but he nodded in agreement. "Can we be done talking about this now?" We let him escape to his room and a giant tub of Legos. And then Geary and I looked at each other and knew we were thinking the same thought...we are SO in trouble.

1 comment:

  1. oh dear. i'm so glad you prepared him for the "what if". ari got kissed (open mouthed!) when he was five by a girl who wanted to be a princess. those darn disney movies!

    ReplyDelete

Linharts love comments!