Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bean Bags, Barley Bags, Whatever

As I mentioned before, I made some little rice bags for Noah and Tobin to play with. They have been having a blast tossing them into bowls, playing catch, making roads for their toy cars and using them as pillows for their stuffed animals. Seeing so much creative play from such a simple project made me decide to make some bean bags for a two year old we know who is having a birthday party this Saturday.

I'm really pleased with how they turned out and I'm excited about how easy, fun and frugal they were to make. Here's what I did:

First I found an old tin with a handle at our local thrift store. It cost 75 cents. I used double stick tape to adhere some cute scrapbook paper that I already had to the outside.

______________________________________

I used colorful letter stickers ($2.99 at Target) on a large cream colored label and stuck the whole thing to the front of the paper covered tin.

________________________________

After that I sealed the whole thing with Mod Podge.

________________________________

While the tin was drying I sewed up 4" by 4" fabric squares on three sides to make small pouches. Then I filled them with 1/2 cup of pearl barley. It cost 48 cents a pound in the bulk section of Winco. Much cheaper, and also lighter and softer than beans.

____________________________________________


Once the pouches were full I folded the tops in and stitched across the top making sure to back-stitch on each corner to ensure that no barley would escape.
__________________________________________



I made a little card with ideas on how to play with the bean bags,
but I'm sure Hope will invent many more games on her own.
___________________________________



Then I threw everything in the tin bucket.

______________________________________

Then I took it all back out again to take a cuter picture. I hope she likes it!

5 comments:

  1. I love love love it! I love creative "toys" that make kids and adults use their brains! Plus, Hope's parents will never have to replace the batteries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too... very cute! I agree with Celina... I love it that there are no batteries! You are creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO SO CUTE! i wish i were hope's mom:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... what a great idea. It seems like Elisa likes the simple toys (or even non-toys) better than the more complicated toys anyway. I'll have to keep this project in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kiddo WOULDN'T like it? Great idea, and one that I am storing away in my little brain...

    ReplyDelete

Linharts love comments!