Saturday, May 10, 2008

Turning the Swiffer into a Lean, Mean, Green Cleaning Machine

This really is a no-brainer and I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of it. I simply picked up some micro-fiber cleaning cloths and wrapped them around the Swiffer head. Here's a tip: Get the cloths from the automotive section of Target or Walmart. In the cleaning section the cloths cost about $2 each. In the auto section you can get the exact same things in 8 packs for $4 or 50 cents each.


The best way I've found to secure the cloth to the Swiffer is to drape the cloth over the Swiffer head so that it is covering the top holes. Then stuff the the bottom of edge of cloth into the bottom holes of the Swiffer.



Next, take the cloth that is hanging down the front of the Swiffer head and pull it back so that it goes under the Swiffer head and up to the top holes. You'll now be pushing two layers of cloth into the top holes. Use the end of a spoon or pencil to help you really it pushed in there. When you're done it should look like the above picture on the right.

Now you can just mop as usual! 1/2 cup of White Vinegar mixed with 1 gallon of warm water is a really great (and cheap!) solution for vinyl or linoleum floors. Use 1/4 cup vinegar and 1 gallon of water for wood floors.

Yay! Clean floors! Toby says, "Hey, where did all my floor snacks go???"

Yum. (I know, I can't believe I'm blogging my dirty mop, either.) When you're done simply remove the micro-fiber cloth and toss it in the washing machine! By the way, you can also use the micro-fiber cloths dry just like you would use the dry Swiffer Sweeper pads. No more wasting money on the disposable cleaning wipes! We're being kind to the earth and our wallets!

You probably didn't notice this adorable bird sculpture in the all the Swiffer pictures but in case you did and were thinking, "That is the cutest bird thing I've ever seen!" here's a close up. Geary let me buy it after I fell in love with it at Lowes while we were buying stuff for redoing our front yard. We call it "The Fat Chick."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Linharts love comments!