Monday, October 15, 2007

Community Event--The Fire House

Last week at the library's Story Time, Firefighter Chris told all the kids to come on down to the Newberg Fire House for hot dogs and free fire truck rides. I asked Noah, "Would you like to do that?" He nodded and said, "Yeah, but I just want to go there for the food." You would think hot dogs are a rare treat...but Grandma and Grandpa Bob know better.

Anyway, we went. They gave each kid a goody bag filled with safety information and stickers and planning sheets for how to evacuate your home in case of a fire. They also gave each kid a set of ears that said, "I'm a good neigh bear" from State Farm Insurance.

Noah declined the ears in favor of his fireman hat but Toby totally pulled off the look.

We got to see the firefighters light a whole room on fire and watch how quicky the fire and smoke grew. The room was completely consumed by fire in less than three minutes. It was a good lesson on how little time you have to actually get out of the house once the smoke alarm starts blaring.




We also got to ride on top of a firetruck! Later when we were looking at the pictures Noah asked me why I didn't take a picture of the actual truck. I said, "Um...because we were on the truck." And also because this was the last picture I could get before the camera's batteries died. I really need to just start carrying extra batteries with me.

And, yes, the hotdogs were good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Linharts love comments!