Thursday, September 27, 2007

I think it's around age 5 or 6 when you start to realize that you know things that your parents might not know. I remember knowing how to spell "brilliant" and feeling vastly superior to my mother because she mispelled it. (In reality, her mispelling was probably just a typo.) This attitude continues until around 15 years old when you are utterly convinced that you know everything and your parents know nothing. It's not until around 23 to 25 that you discover, "Wow, my parents actually are kind of smart." And then you start noticing that they really do know quite a lot and that you really do know nothing. It's a fast, complicated, thrilling, and vicious cycle, I think.

And it has started at our house.

Noah: Where are we going?
Jeana: A store called Big Lots.
Noah: Why is it called Big Lots?
Jeana: I don't know. Why do you think it's called Big Lots?
Noah: Hmm. I think it's called Big Lots because it is big and it has lots of stuff.
Jeana: Huh. I think you are exactly right.
Noah: And I know something else, too. Target is called Target because that's where you go to get tar.
Jeana: I'm not sure that's exactly right.
Noah: It is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Linharts love comments!