Friday, April 23, 2010

A sure sign of growing up

Toby wanted a banana but before I could peel it he started grabbing at my hands, "No, I'll do, I'll do it, I'll do it."  I handed the banana over but he couldn't get the peeling started.

"Would you like me to help you?"

"Yes.  No, I'll do it."

He held the banana out to me but then pulled it back to his chest, caught in the middle of recognizing his need for help but desperately wanting to exert some independence.  Finally he held the banana out and said, "I hold it.  You open it first, then me."

I broke the stem and then pulled the peel down just the tiniest bit before Toby screeched, "Thank you!" and  took over.  When he had the banana all the way out of the peel he did a little victory dance.

"You did it!  You must be a big boy."  I grinned at him.

He nodded, "Yup.  I have big armpits."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Linharts love comments!