Friday, October 21, 2005

Lessons From Parenthood

When I found out I was pregnant with Noah I bought a plush giraffe and named him Sprinkles. Throughout my pregnancy I would often hold Sprinkles while I prayed for my baby and I hoped that Sprinkles would become Noah's "special" toy. When Noah was born and old enough to have a stuffed animal in his bed, we always gave him Sprinkles and the bond was formed. By the time Noah was a year old, Sprinkles was a necessary part of the bedtime routine and we could tell that he was beloved.

The Easter before Noah turned two, Nila gave him a plush puppy which Noah promptly named Puppy. Noah, Sprinkles, and Puppy instantly became their own little family. Now Sprinkles and Puppy have the same status in Noah's eyes. He wants both of them at bedtime, and if for some reason we can't find one, there is obvious disappointment. But when both animals are present Noah spends a good half hour delighting in his toys and interacting with them and having them interact with each other before falling asleep.

Geary pointed out that it's as if Sprinkles is the Jew and Puppy is the Gentile. Sprinkles was meant to be the chosen toy, the special one that would have a unique bond to Noah. And then Noah adopted Puppy and brought him wholeheartedly into the family. Between Sprinkles and Puppy there is never a "favorite" and Noah even calls them "brothers".

I don't feel that I'm in competition with any Jews or anything like that. But watching my 2 5/6 year old love so unconditionally makes my heart swell. I am intensely grateful for being adopted into God's family and for being made a princess and an heir even though I'm not a "Sprinkles". And, I know that I often compare myself to other people to see whether I'm better or worse, but just like Noah loves his two toys equally, I don't have to worry about whether God loves me more or less than my "brothers and sisters". But the big lesson is: If Noah delights over having Sprinkles and Puppy together, how much more does God delight over having his family together? Colossians 3:12-17

2 comments:

  1. wow. thank you to the both of you. God be praised for the way you've shown me how much I am loved by our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeana, your thoughts are sooo powerful and beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to share that with all of us.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Linharts love comments!